Friday, May 29, 2009

More excursions

I'm sitting in the Villa and the sun has just set. The doors are rattling and banging from the howling winds outside. A storm is imminent. It's a good night.

I just got back from Firenze and a wine tasting in downtown Arezzo. A few of us meandered through the streets at dusk to find some food and rest. We found a quaint hole in the wall, something common in the cobble stoned Tuscan streets, and enjoyed a Tuscan meal. That was today, but I suppose I have some catching up to do.

The program is just as intense, confusing, and rewarding. Last weekend I traveled to Venice with a few film students, a couple of dancers, and my roommate. We booked an amazing hostel in central Venice, or at least it felt central. It was an old Renaissance building, and one of the floors was converted into a hostel. We met all kinds of people from all kinds of places. Venice was thrilling. St. Marks Square was breathtaking, the cathedral was beautiful. We all went to Lido, a beach not far from St. Marks, and experienced our first European "nudity optional" beach. Some liked it more than others... Our second day there we went to the Guggenheim museum and I actually got to see Calder! There were a lot of amazing paintings and sculptures but for some reason I remember Calder's "The Mobile." I still can't believe I saw it... But my favorite piece was a Dali painting. It was a little untitled one, but precious to me nonetheless.

This weekend, I'll allow, I went to Firenze which is apparently Florence (yea...). But before I discuss that I must interject that I had my first Italian ghost party Thursday night. Ghost parties take place in remote locations (in this case an abandoned villa) and go on until the wee morning hours. This one was complete with a bar, some sick lighting effects, insanely awesome music, and interesting individuals. It was something to behold for sure, and the Accademia kids had a blast. But back to Florence. I saw statues of Galileo and Machiavelli, and saw the Medici palaces. I went to the Boboli gardens and saw the clothes the ancient Medicis wore. I saw endless sculptures and paintings from all kinds of artists. I even saw another Dali, which was awesome. I saw the copy of the David, and I definitely plan to see the real thing next weekend. Florence and no David makes no sense.


So, personal recap: I'm exhausted, and getting broke, but I'm having a good time. The festival fastly approaches, as does the medieval joust that the Aretians take part in every summer. My last week here will be spent entertaining the people of Italy and volunteering in the Festival. I'll get to meet and work with artists all over the world who will be staying in the villa with us. It's a wonderful experience to be had. I miss my family and my friends....and I miss Matt, but one such as me travels Europe rarely so I try not to get too homesick. On a personal note: the next country I visit, I WILL have learned the language beforehand. Et, Je pense...c'est tout!

No comments:

Post a Comment